[Numpy-discussion] expm

Kevin Jacobs <jacobs@bioinformed.com> bioinformed@gmail....
Fri Jul 20 15:16:16 CDT 2007

On 7/20/07, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> I expect using sqrt(x) will be faster than x**.5.

I did test this at one point and was also surprised that sqrt(x) seemed
slower than **.5.  However I found out otherwise while preparing a timeit
script to demonstrate this observation.  Unfortunately, I didn't save the
precise script I used to explore this issue the first time.  On my system
for arrays with more than 2 elements, sqrt is indeed faster.  For smaller
arrays, the different is negligible, but inches out in favor of **0.5.

Thanks,
-Kevin