[Numpy-discussion] getting numPy happening for sciPy

Thu Jul 26 06:34:19 CDT 2007

Steven H. Rogers wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> Steven H. Rogers wrote:

>>> I thought I saw signs that something would be happening soon.
>>>

>> Real life got in the way.
>>

> Yes, life happens.
>

>>> What
>>> would be the scope of this release manager's responsibilities?
>>>

>> 1) Make a numpy 1.0.3.1 point release. Some changes in 1.0.3-2 which should have
>> only made changes to the files included in the numpy source tarball also seem to
>> impair building scipy. We would need to branch from the 1.0.3 tag to fix this. I
>> don't think the changes to numpy.distutils in the trunk have been vetted enough
>> for making a numpy 1.0.4 release. Here is some information on the mechanics of this:
>>
>>   http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/MakingReleases
>>
>> 2) Make a scipy 0.5.3 release. Deciding what goes in is mostly a matter of
>> announcing a cutoff date to make sure people don't have half of a refactoring in.
>>
>> 3) The release manager will need to make sure that the releases build and run
>> their test suite on at least the Big Three: Windows, some kind of Linux, and Mac
>> OS X. Usually, they will need to delegate for some of these platforms. The
>> binary builds for Windows should be provided for download along with the source.
>>
>> 4) Binaries: Windows binaries are pretty much necessary. If possible, try to use
>> an ATLAS library that does *not* use SSE2 instructions. We have had problems
>> with people getting segfaults on older hardware. scipy binaries should *not*
>> include FFTW or UMFPACK since they are GPLed. I can help with OS X binaries now
>> that I've finally figured out how to get scipy to link statically against the
>> gfortran runtime.
>>
>> 5) The tarballs and binaries should be uploaded to the Sourceforge site. The
>> Cheeseshop records should be updated to record the new versions. An announcement
>> should be made to python-announce and the relevant mailing lists.

I am willing to volunteer for the scipy part: I have quite extensive
experience with building on linux now, and I can now build on windows
without too much difficulties (I mean hardware-wise).

Concerning the release date: it basically means giving enough time to
solve the current bugs, right ? I solved a few bugs from the 0.5.3
milestone, but some of them are outside my knowledge (weave, linalg bugs
which depend on fortran code).

David