[Numpy-discussion] ATLAS,LAPACK compilation - help!

Fri Jun 1 01:26:40 CDT 2007

Matthieu Brucher wrote:

>     Maybe, maybe not. On 64bit Intel machines running 64bit linux the
>     fedora package raises an illegal instruction error. Since the
>     fedora package is based on the debian package this might be a
>     problem on Ubuntu also. For recent hardware you are probably
>     better off compiling your own from the latest ATLAS version out
>     there.
>

> Red Hat uses Debian packages ? That sounds odd... FC uses RPM, Debian
> uses deb packages. The problem with RPM is, as stated by David some
> time ago, that a lot of info is missing in RPM that is present in deb.
I don't think I stated that :)
> What is more, it is known that using a lot of packages repositories
> leads to incompatibilities and instabilities.
I think what Harris meant is that the rpm package is based on the work
done by the debian packagers. There are official rpm for atlas, I think
(not sure, as I do not use Fedora on a regular basis).

David