[Numpy-discussion] Numpy-1.0.3 RPM install failure on SUSE 10.2

Fri Jun 8 23:49:50 CDT 2007

rex wrote:
> I don't know if this is the appropriate place for this, but thanks for
> any pointers to what the problem is.
>
> -rex
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/__init__.py", line 43, in <module>
>     import linalg
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/linalg/__init__.py", line 4, in <module>
>     from linalg import *
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/linalg/linalg.py", line 25, in <module>
>     from numpy.linalg import lapack_lite
> ImportError: /usr/lib/libblas.so.3: undefined symbol: _gfortran_st_write_done

This is certainly because of a mismatch the compiler used for numpy and
blas/lapack. I checked the rpm you are using, and it looks like whereas
blas and lapack are compiled with gfortran, python-numpy is compiled
with g77. I do not use opensuse myself, but started a project to provide
binaries for numpy/scipy for this distribution: most of the packages
like blas and lapack are broken on this platform (I really wonder if
there was any testing of those packages by the packagers).

The quickest thing would be to install numpy from sources. If you're
willing to help, I have some binary for numpy with my own blas/lapack
here, which need some feedback (and updating, too)

http://software.opensuse.org/download/home:/ashigabou/openSUSE_10.2/

cheers,

David