[Numpy-discussion] VMWare Virtual Appliance of Ubuntu with numpy, scipy, matplotlib, and ipython available

Bill Baxter wbaxter@gmail....
Mon Jun 11 19:18:49 CDT 2007

The SMB *client* is installed by default in ubuntu.
You have to add the smb server separately using apt-get or the
synaptic package manager.
   sudo apt-get install samba
After you install the smb server, go to System->Administration->Shared
Folders and add a shared folder.
Then from a console run
   sudo smbpasswd -a <yourloginhere>
and after that restart samba
   sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

At least that's what worked for me.
I find it a lot easier to be able to do the sharing/copying from the
Windows side using Explorer than the ubuntu side using the Gnome file
thing.  But YMMV.  It's nice to have both pathways set up.