[Numpy-discussion] Specifying compiler command line options for numpy.disutils.core

Thu Jun 14 11:59:57 CDT 2007

> I think the default for the standard python distutils is to use the
> compiler and the compiler settings for the C compiler that were used to
> build Python itself. There might be ways to specify other compilers; but
> if you have a shared python library build with one compiler and modules
> build with another you might run into trouble if the two compilers use
> different system libraries which are not resolved by standard python
> build.

Well, the Intel compiler uses the same libraries than gcc on Linux, and on
Windows, I don't know, but it is possible to mix VS2003 and VS2005, whuch is
forbidden by the distutils, so I find this too restricting although
understandable.

I believe that numpy is similar in the sense that you can always build
> additional modules with the compilers that were used to build the numpy
> core; then, using two fortran based modules (say) will work well because
> both require the same shared system libraries of the compiler. Probably,
> the  compiler options used to build numpy will also work for your
> additinal modules (with respect to paths to linear algebra libraries and
> so on).

No, in this case, I want to build with icc and special compiler options. I
tried by build by hand - and CMake - the libraries, it works like a charm
and it is very very fast compared to gcc :(

Again, I think there could be ways to build with different compilers, but
> you do run the risk of incompatibilities with the shared libraries.
> Therefore, I have become used to build python with the C-compiler kI'd
> like to use, even if that means a lot of work.

This would mean building every other modules added - numpy, scipy,
matplotlib, wxPython, ... -, doable, but I'd prefer not to do it, but if it
is not possible, I would have to live with it...

Matthieu