[Numpy-discussion] Problems with Numeric

Sun Jun 17 10:25:01 CDT 2007

On 6/16/07, Ali Santacruz <amsd2013@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi dear list,
>
> I am designing an application that uses GDAL (which seems to bind to
> Numeric) to read an image and convert it to an array. The code runs without
> problem in the console, then I compile it (apparently without problems), but
> when I try to launch the application, it fails and the next error appears in
> the .log:
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "ViewGdal_0.0-1.py", line 10, in ?
>
>   File "gdal\__init__.pyc", line 11, in ?
>
>   File "gdal\gdalnumeric.pyc", line 85, in ?                     #from
> Numeric import *
>
>   File "Numeric.pyc", line 93, in ?                                 #from
> Precision import *
>
>   File "Precision.pyc", line 26, in ?                                #_code_table
> = _fill_table(typecodes)
>
>   File "Precision.pyc", line 23, in _fill_table                   #table[key]
> = _get_precisions(value)
>
>   File "Precision.pyc", line 18, in _get_precisions
>
> TypeError: data type not understood
>

> This refers to the next in Precision.py in Numeric:
>

> typecodes = {'Character':'c', 'Integer':'1sil', 'UnsignedInteger':'bwu',
> 'Float':'fd', 'Complex':'FD'}
>
> def _get_precisions(typecodes):
>
>     lst = []
>
>     for t in typecodes:
>
>         lst.append( (zeros( (1,), t ).itemsize()*8, t) )
> #this is line 18
>
>     return lst
>

> As far as I understand (I've been working with Python for just a couple of
> months), there is a problem with the typecodes. What can I do to solve this
> problem?
>

> I've not found a version of GDAL that binds to Numpy. I am using GDAL from
> hobutools (v. 1.75), Numeric v. 24.2, Python 2.4.3 on WinXP.

Looks like GDAL supports numpy

These facilities have evolved somewhat over time. In the past the package
was known as "Numeric" and imported using "import Numeric". A new generation
is imported using "import *numpy*". Currently the old generation bindings
only support the older Numeric package, and the new generatio bindings only
support the new generation *numpy* package. They are mostly compatible, and
by importing gdalnumeric you will get whichever is appropriate to the
current bindings type.

I would look for a package with a more recent version of GDAL that supports
numpy. Apart from that, I can't help you.

Chuck