[Numpy-discussion] annoying numpy string to float conversion behaviour

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Jun 21 17:47:50 CDT 2007

Torgil Svensson wrote:
> Have you specific insights in Python 3k regarding this?  I assume 3k
> is the next millenium. Maybe they can accept patches before that.

Work on Python 3.0 is going on now. An alpha should be out this year. The
deadline for proposing major changes requiring a PEP has passed, but this
particular issue isn't big enough to be a major concern for 3.0. It has been
discussed for Python 2.6, even. Making float types parse/emit standard string
representations for NaNs and infs could probably go in if you were to provide an
implementation and work out all of the bugs and cross-platform issues.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco