[Numpy-discussion] Unhandled floating point exception running test in numpy-1.0.3 and svn 3875

John Ollinger ollinger@wisc....
Sat Jun 23 14:35:35 CDT 2007

I have just been updating our version of Python, numpy and scipy and have run
into a floating point exception that crashes Python when I test the release.

I am running gcc 3.3.1 on SuSe Linux 2.4.21-144-smp4G.  The error first occurred
with numpy-1.0.3.  I downloaded svn 3875 when I then read the scipy web page and
installed the latest subversion. The test command I am using is

python -c 'import numpy; numpy.test(level=1,verbosity==2)'

and occurs during the matvec test.  This test uses rand to generate 10x8 and 8x1
matrices.  The test that multiplies the first matrix by its transpose works; the
second test that multiplies the first matrix times the second causes the
floating point exception.  The code does not crash if the matrices are created
with "zero()"
but crashes any random matrix generated by rand.  It works fine with all of my
applications (ones that only multiply 4x4 and 4x1 matrices.

Does anyone know if this is a known problem? I can't find any mention of it on
the web.  It is cold comfort to know that my applications will fail
catastrophically rather than by being inaccurate.

Thanks.

John