[Numpy-discussion] [ANN]New numpy, scipy and atlas rpms for FC 5, 6 and 7 and openSUSE (with 64 bits arch support)

Eike Welk eike.welk@gmx....
Thu Jun 28 15:27:35 CDT 2007

------- snip --------------------------------------------------

> and lapack. I would like to hear people complains. If people want
> other distributions supported by the opensuse build system (such as
> mandriva), I would like to hear it too.

I tried your repository
(http://software.opensuse.org/download/home:/ashigabou/openSUSE_10.2/)
with two machines running openSUSE 10.2:
1. AMD Athlon desktop
2. Pentium-M laptop.

The repository works with Yast (installation program).
The prebuilt packages work on both machines. They especially work with
matplotlib from the http://repos.opensuse.org/science/ repository. (I
didn't try timers and testers.)

Building Atlas succeeds on the Pentium-M (2). On the Athlon (1) the
sanity checks fail.

The resulting Atlas RPM is missing two links:
/usr/lib/atlas/sse2/libblas.so.3   -> /usr/lib/atlas/sse2/libblas.so.3.0
/usr/lib/atlas/sse2/liblapack.so.3 -> /usr/lib/atlas/sse2/liblapack.so.3.0

When I try your one line examples, I see a nine times speedup with
Atlas.

Thank you for your efforts! You provide an easy way to install Atlas
on Suse for the first time.

Regards,
Eike.

PS.:
I still think you should contribute to the
http://repos.opensuse.org/science/ repository. Then this quite
comprehensive repository would get decent Blas and Atlas too.