[Numpy-discussion] Problem compiling numpy with Python 2.5 on Powerbook

Steve Lianoglou lists.steve@arachnedesign....
Wed Mar 14 00:13:24 CDT 2007

Hi,
> Hi, guys.
>
> I'm trying to install numpy from subversion on my Powerbook 12", from
> a fresh install (Mac OS X 10.4.8). I downloaded the official universal
> Python 2.5 from python.org, and installed GCC
> (powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.0) from XCode.
>
> Installation fails with the message:
>
>   gcc: installation problem, cannot exec
> 'i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.0': No such file or directory

I'm not sure what the problem is exactly, but is it weird that
there's something to do w/ 'i686' when you're running on a powerbook
being that the pbook is PowerPC?

I noticed you also have this in your log:

C compiler: gcc -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/
MacOSX10.4u.sdk -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp
-mno-fused-madd -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3

(it's the i386 that looks weird to me)

I don't really know if that's a problem, though -- how are you trying
to install it, are you just doing a "python setup.py build" and
"python setup.py install"?

FWIW, my version of XCode gcc is actually 4.0.1 -- perhaps there's a
newer version of XCode for you to install? I am on an intel mac,
though ...

-steve