[Numpy-discussion] numpy.distutils, windows dll vs lib

Thu Mar 15 23:13:46 CDT 2007

Hi,

    recently, I got some problems detecting a dynamic library (dll) with
numpy.distutils. Basically, I have a package which uses a class derived
from system_info from numpy.distutils to detect a dll I use through ctypes.
    If only the dll is present, my numpy.distutils.system_info derived
class does not find the library; if the .lib is present too, then it is
detected. Why is that ? Can I modify my class do detecting the dll is
enough ? I don't know how windows dynamic linking and dynamically loaded
libraries work, and I am kind of confused by this (I thought .lib was
.a, and .dll was .so, and that symbols were not exported by default on
windows contrary to Unix, but the difference seems more subtle than
this....).

    cheers,

    David