[Numpy-discussion] in place random generation

Travis Oliphant oliphant@ee.byu....
Mon Mar 19 12:21:35 CDT 2007

Mark P. Miller wrote:

>Robert:  Just a thought on this topic:
>
>Would it be possible for the Scipy folks to add a new module based
>solely off your old mtrand code (pre-broadcast)?  I have to say that the
>mtrand code from numpy 0.9.8 has some excellent advantages over the core
>python random number generators.
>
>This would allow Scipy to have a pure random number generator, whereas
>numpy could keep its fancier (but slower) array-based random number
>generators.

I've just added a faster path through the random-number generators for
scalar parameters to the SVN code tree.

It would be great if those who use this could check to see if

1) it is correct
2) it is indeed faster for scalar parameters

Thanks,

-Travis