[Numpy-discussion] Simple multi-arg wrapper for dot()

Bill Baxter wbaxter@gmail....
Sat Mar 24 14:24:49 CDT 2007

On 3/25/07, Perry Greenfield <perry@stsci.edu> wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Bill Baxter wrote:

> >> It looks like reduce(), map(), and filter() are going away for Python
> >> 3.0 since GvR believes that they are redundant and list
> >> comprehensions
> >> and generator expressions are more readable alternatives.  lambda
> >> was on
> >> the block as well, but will be retained.
> >
> > Are you sure reduce is on the chopping block?  The PEP for generator
> > expressions doesn't say anything about reduce becoming redundant.
>
> While it isn't in his slides for Pycon this year, I could have sworn
> he said he was getting rid of reduce  (but not lambda, nor map IIRC
> but not sure about the latter)

I could definitely see map and filter getting killed off, because
their functionality is almost 100% covered by list comprehensions.
    map(function, s1,s2,s3...)  ~== [function(x) for x in izip(s1,s2,s3...) ]
    filter(function, sequence) ~== [x for x in sequence if function(x)]
but reduce?  Makes no sense.

--bb