[Numpy-discussion] Detect subclass of ndarray

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Sat Mar 24 15:34:04 CDT 2007

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007, Travis Oliphant apparently wrote:
> I'd be fine with an error raised on matrix multiplication
> (as long as dot is not changed).   In other words, I'd
> like to see 1-d arrays always interpreted the same way (as
> row vectors) when used in matrix multiplication.

My preference would be for matrix multiplication with 1d
arrays to always raise an error. Anything else is too
"implicit".

As a second choice, having them always interpreted as
a specific kind of vector (either row or colum, as long as
its *always* the same) is equivalent to me.

But shouldn't there be a clear justification of such
implicit conversion?  Is it really so useful?

Cheers,
Alan