[Numpy-discussion] matrix indexing question

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Mon Mar 26 08:54:26 CDT 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Sven Schreiber apparently wrote:
> If you iterate over the rows of the matrix, it feels
> natural to me to get the row vectors

Natural in what way?
Again, I am raising the question of what
would be expected from someone familiar with Python.
Abstractly, what do you expect to get when you iterate
over a container?  Seriously.

> But I admit I'm a 2d fan so much so that I didn't even
> know that using a single index is possible with a matrix.

Exactly.  When you want submatrices, you expect to index for
them.  EXACTLY!!

Cheers,
Alan Isaac