[Numpy-discussion] matrix indexing question

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Thu Mar 29 19:48:43 CDT 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Bill Spotz apparently wrote:
> What I envisioned was that M[i,:] would return
> a row_vector and M[:,j] would return a column_vector,
> because this would be symmetric behavior.  M[i], by
> convention, would behave the same as M[i,:].

Can you please be explicit about the value added by that
convention, as you see it?

Thank you,
Alan Isaac

PS I assume your "vector" class would always accept a single index,
for both row and column vectors?  What is the return type of v[i]?