[Numpy-discussion] Making a minimalist NumPy

Tue Nov 6 17:18:24 CST 2007

Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

> NumPy is included in the OLPC operating system, which is very constrained in
> space.  Therefore, it would be nice to remove some subpackages to save a few
> megabytes.  For example, the system does not include any Fortran code or
> compiler, so f2py (3.6 MB) seems superfluous.  I also think the distutils
> subpackage (1.9M) is probably not necessary.  Therefore, I have two questions.
>
> 1. Which packages do you think are necessary to have a functioning NumPy?
>
> 2. What is the easiest way to make (or get) a minimal NumPy installation?  For
> example, would the scons/autoconf branch make this easier?

* You can get rid of f2py, oldnumeric, numarray, and testing.
* If you don't need to support building of c-extensions then distutils
can also be tossed.

To make it, you should be able to just edit the

numpy/numpy/setup.py

script to remove adding those sub-packages.

Then,

python setup.py install

should work.

Let me know if you need further help.