[Numpy-discussion] Unnecessarily bad performance of elementwise operators with Fortran-arrays

Hans Meine meine@informatik.uni-hamburg...
Thu Nov 8 13:30:20 CST 2007

On Donnerstag 08 November 2007, Christopher Barker wrote:
> This discussion makes me wonder if the basic element-wise operations
> could (should?) be special cased for contiguous arrays, reducing them to
>   simple pointer incrementing from the start to the finish of the data
> block. The same code would work for C and Fortran order arrays, and be
> pretty simple.

This is exactly what I am thinking and talking about.  I did not want to imply
that NumPy is bad because it does not yet do so - it's an impressive piece of
well-designed software AFAICS - but I do think that this is a really common
and important use case that should not stay as inefficiently handled as it is
now.

Ciao, /  /                                                    .o.
    /  / ANS                                                  ooo