[Numpy-discussion] Getting an array interface and using it

Mon Nov 12 13:04:32 CST 2007

Matthieu Brucher wrote:
> I have an object that exposes an array interface. I want to modify the
> data it contains, but using numpy.array(myObject) seems to copy the data
> and thus my object is not modified. Am I mistaken or did I make a
> mistake in my array interface ?

I think numpy.array(object) always makes a copy.

You want numpy.asarray(object) which will make a view if object exposes
the array interface and matches the type and sizes requested.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov