[Numpy-discussion] Merging new (optional) build system in the trunk ?

Mon Nov 12 23:30:52 CST 2007

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I would appreciate to get some comment on whether there is any
> chance to get my numpy.scons branch merge into the trunk at some near
> future. I feel to have reached the point where the only big thing
> missing is more testing. I tried to test it on many platforms, but there
> is a limit to what I can test just by myself. The branch has been
> conceived such as by default, the current numpy.distutils is used to
> build, and the scons-based build is used only by explicit request
> (another setup.py), so this does not force any use now: except the work
> related to numpyconfig (which can be tested separately, since it was
> done in a different branch, and is only a few lines of code), everything
> else is exactly the same than before.

I think there is a chance.  I'm generally favorable to the idea.  I was
mainly waiting for the 1.0.4 release.  I think we should be able to
merge it over now if there are no serious objections.

I'm also interested in moving scipy.weave into numpy (without the blitz
converters which will stay in scipy).

For 1.0.5, I would also like to see aligned memory and some steps
towards optimization using intrinsics.

-Travis O.