[Numpy-discussion] numpy : your experiences?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Nov 19 18:19:02 CST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 4:05 PM, Rahul Garg <rahulgarg44@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi.
>
> thanks for ur responses .. so it looks like python/numpy is used more
> for gluing things together or doing things like postprocessing. is
> anyone using it for core calculations .. as in long running python
> calculations?
> i used numpy myself for some nonlinear dynamics and chaos related
> calculations but they were usually very short running only for a few
> seconds at a time.

We use it for the core of long-running computations:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.acha.2007.08.001

The innermost loops use numpy arrays, with some hand-coded C to do
optimized dot-like operations without any error or type checking.  The
entire code is an amalgam of numpy, scipy, matplotlib, mayavi and pyx,
with  pyrex, some in-house Fortran wrapped with f2py, hand-coded C,
and a bit of auto-generated C++ loaded at runtime with weave.inline().

While the times listed above are fairly short (small electrostatics
examples), we are using this inside long-running quantum mechanics
codes (papers in review now).

Cheers,