[Numpy-discussion] numpy : your experiences?

Tue Nov 20 02:35:31 CST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 4:05 PM, Rahul Garg <rahulgarg44@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi.
>
> thanks for ur responses .. so it looks like python/numpy is used more
> for gluing things together or doing things like postprocessing. is
> anyone using it for core calculations .. as in long running python
> calculations?
> i used numpy myself for some nonlinear dynamics and chaos related
> calculations but they were usually very short running only for a few
> seconds at a time.

It depends on what you mean by long running. A couple of hours seems long to
me, others might think in terms of days and weeks. The longest running
things I have done are Monte Carlo simulations and a genetic algorithm to
find the best integer coefficients for a complex equal ripple filter
starting with the floating point coefficients produced by a complex Remez
algorithm. I have also used python and mixed numpy/C++ to program an image
server to produce photometrically correct, blurred, widefield streaked star
images using an indexed Tycho catalog. I mostly use python for quick and
dirty programs, prototyping, and as an interface to C++ when speed is
essential.

Chuck