[Numpy-discussion] numpy distutils patch

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Wed Nov 21 00:31:54 CST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 6:09 PM, David M. Cooke <cookedm@physics.mcmaster.ca> wrote:
> My opinion is that it's not necessary, or correct. The fix leaves
> quotes in if there is no whitespace, so '"Hi"' is converted to
> ['"Hi"'], while '"Hi there"' becomes ['Hi there']. I can't see when
> you'd want that behaviour.
>
> Also, it's only used by ccompiler (numpy.distutils.ccompiler replaces
> the version in distutils.ccompiler). numpy.distutils.fcompiler
> *doesn't* use this version, it uses distutils.utils.split_quoted.
> Since we run into more variety in terms of command lines with the
> Fortran compilers than the C compilers I think, and haven't been
> bitten by supposedly-bad quoting problems, I'll say we don't need our
> version.

I think you are right, so I went ahead and removed the code:
http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/changeset/4481

Both NumPy and SciPy build just fine on my system.  If anyone has any
problems, please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman