[Numpy-discussion] numpy : your experiences?

Robert Cimrman cimrman3@ntc.zcu...
Wed Nov 21 03:10:48 CST 2007

Rahul Garg wrote:
> It would be awesome if you guys could respond to some of the following
> questions :
> a) Can you guys tell me briefly about the kind of problems you are
> tackling with numpy and scipy?

I am using both numpy and scipy to solve PDEs in the context of finite
element method (elasticity, porous media, ...).

> b) Have you ever felt that numpy/scipy was slow and had to switch to
> C/C++/Fortran?

I use bits of C code wrapped by SWIG either to address real bottle-necks
(FE assembling, element matrix computations) or due to the fact that I
have lots of "legacy" C code that I reuse from my previous projects.

> c) Do you use any form of parallel processing? Multicores? SMPs?
> Clusters? If yes how did u utilize them?

If I ever get myself to start, I will use petsc4py.

> If you feel its not relevant to the list .. feel free to email me personally.
> I would be very interested in talking about these issues.

It is really interesting to see what others do.

r.