[Numpy-discussion] OT: A Way to Approximate and Compress a 3DSurface

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Nov 21 14:12:26 CST 2007

Andrew Straw wrote:
> Christopher Barker wrote:
>>> For data interpolation: 2D-Delaunay triangulation based method (I think you can find one in the scipy cookbook).
>> yup -- but  then you need the decimation to remove the "unneeded"
>> points. I don't think Scipy has that.
>
> The sandbox does, thanks to Robert Kern. (And I should really submit a
> patch to move this into the main scipy.)
> http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/Matplotlib/Gridding_irregularly_spaced_data

No, this does interpolation. It does not do surface simplification.

Also, I'm moving the package over to scikits, instead.

http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scikits/browser/trunk/delaunay

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."