[Numpy-discussion] Best representation for array of points, or, how to distinguish a Nx1 array of points from a Nx3 array of scalars

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Oct 4 11:41:25 CDT 2007

Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Edson Tadeu apparently wrote:
>> Is there any field in the NumPy object where I can keep
>> this information (the shape of the "element"), without
>> creeping it with the dtype='(M,N)f8'
>> representation I explained above?
>
> Perhaps you want a recarray?

No, that's what the dtype='3f8' gets him. He gave reasons why he doesn't want that.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco