[Numpy-discussion] numpy/Windows shared arrays between processes?

Tue Oct 9 19:55:07 CDT 2007

Ray Schumacher wrote:
> At 05:22 AM 10/9/2007, David Cournapeau wrote:
>
>> Could not this be because you compiled the posh sources with a
>> compiler/runtime which is different than the other extensions and python
>> interpreter ?
>>

> It definitely was - since my 2.4 wanted the free 7.1 compiler, I (and
> anyone else who didn't download it in time) are now seemingly SOL
> since it is no longer available. I saw much discussion of this as
> well, but even 2.5 is now "fixed" on 7.1 and reports of compiling
> distutil modules with the new MS SDK and having them work at all with
> 2.4 were very mixed. I also tried GCC and had a litany of other
> errors with the posh.

Basically, you cannot expect file descriptors (or even file handles: the
standard ones from C library fopen) to cross dll boundaries if the dll
do not have exactly the same runtime. The only solution is to convert
your file descriptor to the non standard HANDLE things from the Win32
API, and pass this at the API level. Now, I have no idea if this works
also for mmap files; maybe this is broken too.

cheers,

David