[Numpy-discussion] How does Python treat commons in fortran code?

Wed Oct 10 16:25:57 CDT 2007

Guillem Borrell i Nogueras wrote:
¿How does ctypes or f2py handle the _common_ structures
> present in fortran 77?

I think that's covered (for f2py) by this:

http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/f2py2e/usersguide/#common-blocks

   ¿Are all they allocated at load? ¿Do they work
> exactly as they were called from a fortran executable and the main program is
> aware of all the _commons_ and allocates the storage when it is asked for?

I'm pretty sure that's the case.

> He has been programming for more than 40 years and I could not get him much
> into object oriented programing, however he found python+numpy+scipy a very
> promising tool.

Good news -- you could save a lot of time by using FORTRAN only for what
it's good for: the number crunching.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov