[Numpy-discussion] fortran 90 compiler problem

Wed Oct 10 22:20:34 CDT 2007

On 10/10/07, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:

> humufr@yahoo.fr wrote:
> >               Hello,
> >
> > I'm using the last svn version of numpy (.
> >
> > I tried the solution found on the mail list:
> >
> > python setup.py config_fc --fcompiler=gnu95 build
> >
> > the two interesting part (at least for me) in the building process are:
> >
> > customize GnuFCompiler Found executable /usr/bin/g77
> > gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
> > gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
> > customize GnuFCompiler
> > gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
> > gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
> > customize GnuFCompiler using config
> >
> > and later:
> > customize G95FCompiler Found executable /usr/local/bin/g95
> >
> > but I still have the same answer when I'm trying to do: f2py -c -m hello
> > hello.f90
> >
> > customize GnuFCompiler Found executable /usr/bin/g77
> > gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found gnu: no Fortran 90
> > compiler found customize GnuFCompiler
> > gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
> > gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
>
> This is a correct message and does not imply that no Fortran 90 compiler
> exists.
> The GnuFCompiler ("gnu") only looks at g77, which is not a Fortran 90
> compiler.
> That message only applies to the "gnu" compiler, not any other.

I have always found these messages confusing. Perhaps they could be better
worded to reflect the process, or, even better, silenced. All that really
matters is success or failure and the reason, not every little dead end
explored on the way. If they are needed for debugging, write the whole mess
to a file in the build directory instead of the console.

Chuck