[Numpy-discussion] Partially merging scons into trunk ?

Mon Oct 15 23:58:41 CDT 2007

Bryce Hendrix wrote:
> I've only been following this thread on the perimeter, so I'm not sure
> if "makefile" migration has been discussed. I have a script I wrote
> about a year ago when we (Enthought) were looking at using SCons for our
> internal builds. The script is capable of generating SConscript files
> from setup.py scripts. It works by faking a build with distutils and
> uses those build steps to generate the scons targets.
>
> The script is not complete, for example 'weave' confuses it, but it
> could be a good starting point. If anyone is interested in it, I'll post
> it to the list.

That sounds interesting. Do I understand correctly that you ditched
distutils entirely ? That's not the approach I have taken, because I
thought it would be too big (before inclusion in numpy, I need to show
something remotely impressive, to convince the change worths it), and
would prevent doing things iteratively (e.g. building numpy wo distutils
would be a huge task). For most subpackages of scipy, which have small
setup.py, this would be useful, I guess (for the packages I know, they
are independant, at least as far as build issues are concerned).

I don't think any automated task would work for numpy:  I spent a good
deal of time last WE to be able to build all extensions in numpy with
scons, and it is a lot of work, because of bootstrapping issues. If you
take into account the code generators, the numpy.core "Makefile" is more
than 1000 lines of non trivial code. I finally got my head around it,
but I don't think any automated scheme would work in this case.

cheers,

David