[Numpy-discussion] Avoiding distributing config.h in numpy.core ?

Tue Oct 16 05:00:51 CDT 2007

Hi,

   I spent the last WE trying to understand the whole numpy build
process (all this related to my project of "sconsification" of numpy).
One thing which I came across, and is a bit problematic is the fact that
numpy/core build process relies on a config.h which is meant to be
distributed (by distributed, I mean that the config,h is an installed
file). Would a patch to remove config.h from the generated files be
considered useful ? (this change would of course be 100 % backward
compatible: it would be totally transparent to users of numpy headers).

   To be more precise: this config.h is obviously inspired by autoheader
facilities, but the config.h generated by the autotools should not be
distributed:

http://sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_96.html#SEC96

Incidently, the problems mentioned in the above link happen in numpy,
where we conditionally define some symbols (various SIZEOF_*), because
python itself does not follow the rule. A config.h should really only
contains #define/#undef lines, nothing else; it would also avoid
polluting the namespace (the config.h symbols should not be visible from
users of numpy headers as they are now). Finally, this would also make
the sconsification process easier,

cheers,

David