[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.0.4 release

Sun Oct 21 03:14:59 CDT 2007

Lisandro Dalcin wrote:
> On 10/20/07, David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> And I
>
>> hope that in the end, scons will be used for numpy (for 1.1 ?), once I
>> finish the conversion.
>>
>> I don't see situations where adding 350 Kb in the tarball can be an
>> issue, so could you tell me what the problem would be ?
>>

> Then if numpy is going to use scons for build itself in the near
> future, then there is no problem, and including scons in numpy tarball
> is good from the user side.

Just as a precision: I am the only one so far working on this (using
scons instead of distutils), and no decision has been made whether it
will be used at all in the future.
> Just a final observation. Try to make it possible to reuse a scons
> other than that included in numpy tarball. Packagers would be happy
> with this.

Yes, I though about that, it would not be too difficult to handle (and
scons has a simple mechanism to ensure a given version), since scons is
called externally (it could be a option given to the scons command
inside distutils, for example).

cheers,

David