[Numpy-discussion] Request for advice: project to get NumPy working in IronPython

Fri Oct 26 14:53:26 CDT 2007

On 10/26/07, Travis E. Oliphant <oliphant@enthought.com> wrote:

> >> An IronPython compatible version of NumPy would be great.    Of course
> >> it could be done by using C# to write NumPy, but I'm not sure that this
> >> would really be any less work than creating a "glue" layer that allowed
> >> most (or all) C-Python extensions to work with IronPython.
> >>
> I'm curious about why all the discussion is about putting Python and its
> extensions on top of C# and very little discussion about just using
> C#-based tools as an extension from CPython.
>
> Python .NET is a great example of what I'm referring to.
>
> The C# language and the CLR does solve some problems, but it does not
> solve all the problems related to scientific computing that it could.
> In particular, I wish it's cross-platform visibility where higher.  Mono
> is a great start, but there are a lot of C# libraries that just don't
> get made to work on Linux or Mac OS X.
>
> The task of moving scipy to sit on top of the CLR seems rather large
> without some automatic tool to allow calling CPython extensions from the
> CLR that works in a cross-platform way.
>
> I don't really see the benefit that the CLR offers (unless all the hype
> is just so you can write code that runs in a browser --- in which case,
> are you really going to run matrix inversion on the CLR in a browser?)
>
> How does legacy code interact with the "magic" of the CLR?
>
> What are people's opinions about the value of NumPy and SciPy on the CLR?

If we were all Microsoft, all the time, it might be worth it. I run
Linux myself and haven't installed Windows at home in years, so for me
it is a non-starter. Keep it in C  and target generic python.
Portability and compiler independence is the goal.

Chuck