[Numpy-discussion] Memory leak in ndarray, more info

Karol Langner karol.langner@kn...
Sat Oct 27 23:57:58 CDT 2007

On Friday 26 October 2007 05:39, Robert Crida wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I recently posted about a memory leak in numpy and failed to mention the
> version. The leak manifests itself in numpy-1.0.3.1 but is not present in
> numpy-1.0.2
>
> The following code reproduces the bug:
>
> import numpy as np
>
> a = np.array([1.0, 2.0, 3.0])
> while True:
>     b = str(a)
>
> What happens above is that is repeatedly converted to a string. The process
> size grow quite rapidly.
>
> Has anyone else come across this? Where do I look to try to correct it?
>
> Thanks
> Robert

I can reproduce this leak:

Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Apr 30 2007, 15:03:13)
[GCC 3.4.6 (Debian 3.4.6-5)] on linux2
>>> import numpy
>>> numpy.version.version
'1.0.4.dev4317'
>>> a = numpy.array([1.0])
>>> while True:

which causes the resident size of the process to grow by about 1MB/s as
mentioned earlier. Interestingly, using non-float dtypes does not cause the
loop to leak.

Karol

--
written by Karol Langner