[Numpy-discussion] vectorizing loops

Sun Oct 28 21:18:44 CDT 2007

Sebastian Haase wrote:
> On 10/26/07, David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>
>> P.S: IMHO, this is one of the main limitation of numpy (or any language
>> using arrays for speed; and this is really difficult to optimize: you
>> need compilation, JIT or similar to solve those efficiently).
>>

> This is where the scipy - sandbox numexpr  project comes in
> - if I'm not misaken ....
>
> http://www.scipy.org/SciPyPackages/NumExpr
>
> Description
> The scipy.sandbox.numexpr package supplies routines for the fast
> evaluation of array expressions elementwise by using a vector-based
> virtual machine. It's comparable to scipy.weave.blitz (in Weave), but
> doesn't require a separate compile step of C or C++ code.
>

> I hope that more noise around this  will result  in more interest and
> subsequentially result in more support.
> I think numexpr  might be one of the most powerful ideas in numpy /
> scipy  "recently".
> Did you know about numexpr - David ?

I knew about it, but never really tried it. But numexpr still through
python for function calls, right ?

The big problem of python for (recursive) numeric work is the function
call cost. On my macbook (core 2 duo @ 2 ghz), which I already consider
quite beefy, I cannot call more than 0.5-1 million functions every
second (really simple ones, e.g. not member functions of some objects,
which are more costly). That's why I don't see much hope outside JIT for
those (incidently, the kind of things 'we' are doing seem like the most
simple things to JIT).

cheers,

David