[Numpy-discussion] numpy build fails on powerpc ydl

Tue Sep 4 22:41:37 CDT 2007

Hi Vincent,

On 9/4/07, Vincent Broman <broman@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:

> Oliphant:
> > Would you be willing to help get the config.h file set up correctly?
>
> Yes. I thought it was automatic, tho.
> What to do?
>
> me:
> > Its kernel is 2.4.19-Asmp tailored by the vendor.
>
> Harris:
> > Which vendor?
>
> Curtiss-Wright Controls, back when they were called Synergy.
>
> Harris:
> > Ancient....  Curtiss-Wright now supports Linux and kernel 2.6.16 on
> > some of their newer hardware
>
> The military ends up supporting ancient systems for a long time.
> I don't think I have the option of upgrading the OS on these beasts,
> especially when it involves a new binary format.
> That would be nice, tho, especially if it made it possible to run
> subversion.

Too bad.  It looks to me like gcc2.95.3 should work just fine. Could you run

$ cat ./build/src.linux-i686-2.5/numpy/core/config.h

in your numpy source directory, with the appropriate changes of course, and
send the result? I'm curious about the value of  SIZEOF_LONG_DOUBLE.

Then could you also compile and run

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
    printf("size of long double: %d\n",  sizeof(long double));
    return 1;
}

And see what it prints? The two should be the same.

Thanks,
Chuck