[Numpy-discussion] Vector magnitude?

Robert Dailey rcdailey@gmail....
Wed Sep 5 13:52:53 CDT 2007

Oh I think I get it.

You mean the built-in len() function? This isn't what I am looking for.
len() returns the number of components in the vector (e.g. whether it is a
2D, 3D, etc vector). I found that magnitude can be calculated using hypot()
in the math module that comes with python. However, this method only appears
to work with 2D vectors. And yes, by magnitude I mean euclidean norm:

sqrt( x*x + y*y ) = magnitude (length) of a vector