[Numpy-discussion] Use my own data type with NumPy

James A. Bednar jbednar@inf.ed.ac...
Wed Sep 5 17:37:06 CDT 2007

|  Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 21:19:58 +0200
|  From: G?nter Dannoritzer <dannoritzer@web.de>
|  Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] Use my own data type with NumPy
|
|  The purpose of my (Python) class is to model a fixed point data
|  type. So I can specify how many bits are used for integer and how
|  many bits are used for fractional representation. Then it should be
|  possible to assign a value and do basic arithmetic with an instance
|  of that class. The idea is that based on fixed point arithmetic
|  rules, each operation tracks changes of bit width.

You may already be aware of this, but there is a package available
that does exactly what you describe:

  http://fixedpoint.sourceforge.net

It is not currently actively aintained, and it's quite slow, but it
does work reliably, and we use it daily at my site.  It might be best
for all concerned if you simply took over that project, making it
faster and well supported, rather than creating a competing one...

Jim