[Numpy-discussion] how to include numpy headers when building an extension?

David M. Cooke cookedm@physics.mcmaster...
Tue Sep 11 15:49:59 CDT 2007

David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> writes:

> Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
>> Christopher Barker wrote:
>>
>>> I know this has been discussed, but why doesn't numpy put its includes
>>> somewhere that distutils would know where to find it?
>>>

>> I think one answer is because distutils doesn't have defaults that play
>> well with eggs.   NumPy provides very nice extensions to distutils which
>> will correctly add the include directories you need.
>>
> Concerning numpy.distutils, is anyone working on improving it ? There
> was some work started, but I have not seen any news on this front: am I
> missing something ? I would really like to have the possibility to
> compile custom extensions to be used through ctypes, and didn't go very
> far just by myself, unfortunately (understanding distutils is not
> trivial, to say the least).

I work on it off and on. As you say, it's not trivial :-) It also has
a tendency to be fragile, so large changes are harder. Something will work
for me, then I merge it into the trunk, and it breaks on half-a-dozen
platforms that I can't test on :-) So, it's slow going.

I've got a list of my current goals at
http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/wiki/DistutilsRevamp.