[Numpy-discussion] arange and floating point arguments

Joris De Ridder Joris.DeRidder@ster.kuleuven...
Fri Sep 14 15:36:46 CDT 2007

> the question is how to reduce user astonishment.

IMHO this is exactly the point. There seems to be two questions here:
1) do we want to reduce user astonishment, and 2) if yes, how could
we do this? Not everyone seems to be convinced of the first question,
replying that in many cases linspace() could well replace arange().
In many cases, yes, but not all. For some cases arange() has its
legitimate use, even for floating point, and in these cases you may
get bitten by the inexact number representation. If Matlab seems to
be able to avoid surprises, why not numpy?

Joris