[Numpy-discussion] Compile Numpy in VC++8

Thu Apr 3 11:44:28 CDT 2008

> > The supporters of the commercial software told me that their software is
> > complied in VC++8.
>

> So they have apparently compiled a python extension with VC++8 that
> works? Are you sure that it works with the "standard" Windows Python
> Build (Which version of Python, by the way?). From everything I've read,
> that can't be done, at least not easily. I've never understood that, as
> I think the issue is with the libraries, not the compiler, and you'd
> think that there'd be a way to use the old libs with the new compiler,
> but I know folks a lot smarter than me haven't figure out how.

I use Scons to build my Python modules (everything is in my blog if someone
wonders) and I use Visual C++ 2005 with the official Python 2.5 binary, and
everything works just fine. For the moment. If I start using some
complicated stuff like FILE*, it won't work anymore, but for "simple"
modules, it works really fine.

Matthieu
--
French PhD student