[Numpy-discussion] Compile Numpy in VC++8

Thu Apr 3 17:05:53 CDT 2008

2008/4/3, Chris Barker <Chris.Barker@noaa.gov>:

> Robert Kern wrote:
>
> Just since that has been discussed a LOT, for years, I want to be clear:
>

> > Different versions of Microsoft's compiler use different libraries for
> > the standard C library. Some simple Python extension modules compiled
> > with a different compiler than the Python interpreter will usually
> > work.
>

> Do SOME modules USUALLY work just because of what routines in the
> standard library they happen to call? So it's just a matter of luck that
> a given module may not trigger a conflict between the two runtime libs?

Some parts of the C interface are fixed by the standard. Rely on them and
you should be OK (safe perhaps for some memory functions, but I never saw a
problem there). The other parts should never be trusted (as the I/O stuff).
These are the rules I follow.

Matthieu
--
French PhD student