[Numpy-discussion] Simple financial functions for NumPy

Angus McMorland amcmorl@gmail....
Fri Apr 4 11:13:57 CDT 2008

-1 for any functions added to numpy.

As only an end-user, I realize I have little right to a say in these
sorts of issues, but for whatever it may be worth, I strongly agree
with Gael's viewpoint. We should be aiming towards modular systems for
function distribution, and now that it seems that these are being
gradually worked out (scikits?), I think we should avoid adding
anything to numpy, which should rather be kept to a bare minimum: just
the necessaries for array creation and manipulation. Everything else
should go in the add-on modules which can be installed as required.

This have the benefit that the numpy package stays well-defined and
contained, meaning that end-users know exactly what to expect as
available on a given system. Instead of wondering "Where do I find
functions for x. I know numpy has some things. Maybe it's in there or
maybe somewhere else." I would always know that in order to get
functions for x I would install the correct, usefully named, module.
This seems like the path of least surprise, and a cleanest interface.

I agree it's great that numpy is on the OLPC, and would like to see it
accompanied there by a "Basic Functions" module containing, for
example, these financial functions, which certainly sound useful...
but not for everyone.

On 04/04/2008, Joe Harrington <jh@physics.ucf.edu> wrote:
> +1 for simple financial functions in numpy, and congrats that it's on
>  OLPC!  If we have an FFT in numpy, we should have an internal rate of
>  return.  Anyone with investments needs that, and that's more people
>  than those needing an FFT.
>
>  I agree that Excel will bring in the most familiarity, but their names
>  are not always rational.  Please don't propagate irrational names.
>  Consider looking at what they're called in Matlab and IDL, as code
>  conversion/familiarity from those communities counts as well.  Maybe
>  for each function take the most rational name and arg order from those
>  three sources, with strong preference for Excel unless there is a
>  clear better way to do it.
>

>  --jh--

AJC McMorland, PhD candidate
Physiology, University of Auckland