[Numpy-discussion] packaging scipy (was Re: Simple financial functions for NumPy)

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Mon Apr 7 11:22:28 CDT 2008

On 07/04/2008, Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 05:20:47PM +0200, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>  > I agree, and I think we can come to some compromise -- maybe a
>  > numpy.all namespace, that simply imports all the other subpackages.
>

> For the beginner, "from numpy.all import *" is more confusing than "from
>  numpy import *" (which is already confusing).
>
>  I know namespace are good things, but the beginner struggles with them.
>  This is why I used the "import *" in my above examples.

You're only a beginner for a short while, and after that the lack of
namespaces really start to bite.  I am all in favour of catering for
those who are busy learning numpy, but should we do that at the cost
of our advanced users?

There must be a way to make both groups happy -- any suggestions?

Regards
Stéfan