[Numpy-discussion] Interaction between Numpy and the nose framework (was : packaging scipy)

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Mon Apr 7 11:38:25 CDT 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> On 07/04/2008, Matthieu Brucher <matthieu.brucher@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > BTW, I stumbled on something strange with the nose framework. If you from
>  > numpy.testing import * in a test file, the nose framework will try to test
>  > the testing module by calling every test* method.
>  >
>  > I just mention it there because I think I'm not the only one to do this for
>  > set_package_path, assert_equal, ...
>
>  I've noticed that behaviour, too.  Note, however, that you do not need
>  to use set_package_path and friends with nose; you can instead do a
>  fully qualified import:
>
>  from numpy.submod.mod import foo

Actually, it was intentional to make the scipy.testing * space a more
limited version of the numpy testing space - in particular,
set_package_path was often being used unnecessarily (by me among
others) and was clearly leading to confusion.  You do however have
assert_equal and friends with from scipy.testing  import *, so I'd
strongly recommend you use that in preference to the numpy.testing
import within scipy.

Best,

Matthew