[Numpy-discussion] Spyke python-to-C compiler Was: Numpy-discussion Digest, Vol 19, Issue 24

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Apr 7 13:26:52 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:54 AM, Francesc Altet <faltet@carabos.com> wrote:
> A Monday 07 April 2008, Charles R Harris escrigué:
>  > On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Rahul Garg <garg1@ualberta.ca> wrote:
>  > > Quoting numpy-discussion-request@scipy.org:
>  > > > What will be the licensing of this project?  Do you know yet?
>  > >
>  > > I am thinking GPL for the compiler and LGPL for any runtime
>  > > components which should be similar to GCC. Which version : Version
>  > > 2 or version 3 of the license is undecided. Will also check with
>  > > uni to see if they have any problems (they shouldnt). Also need to
>  > > check with uni for hosting. I believe I will need to host on uni
>  > > servers.
>  >
>  > Scipy and Numpy are BSD and don't include GPL components, so you
>  > might want to consider a more liberal license.
>
>  As I see it, and provided that parts of Spyke are written in Java, it
>  would be very unlikely that this will ever be included in NumPy/SciPy.
>  It looks like a compiler, so having the same licensing than GCC
>  shouldn't bother the NumPy community, IMO.

If the runtime isn't BSD, I won't bother using it. I can deal with an
LGPLed glibc because I never have to bother distributing it. I would
have to distribute the Spyke runtime.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."