[Numpy-discussion] packaging scipy (was Re: Simple financial functions for NumPy)

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Apr 7 13:29:41 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi,
>  I think that splitting the NumPy namespace should not happen within a
>  major release series because it would cause too many breakages.  Rather
>  it should be in a forthcoming release like the 2.0 series where it may
>  be very feasible to have a true core functionality (NumPy), extended
>  functionality (SciPy) and specific applications (Scikits). At the same
>  time, Python 3K would be  fully supported because it will break lots of
>  code.

I would prefer not to do it at all. We've just gotten people moved
over from Numeric; I'd hate to break their trust again.

>  It is really nice to think about having NumPy Core, NumPy Full,
>  NumPyKits, SciPy Core, SciPy Full and SciPyKits.

Really? It gives me the shivers, frankly.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco