[Numpy-discussion] packaging scipy (was Re: Simple financial functions for NumPy)

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Mon Apr 7 16:21:41 CDT 2008

On 07/04/2008, Andreas Klöckner <lists@informa.tiker.net> wrote:
> On Montag 07 April 2008, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>  > I wouldn't exactly call 494 functions "just enough namespace clutter";
>  >  I'd much prefer to have a clean api to work with.
>

> Not to bicker, but...
>
>  >>> import numpy
>  >>> len(dir(numpy))
>  494

You'd be glad to know that that your investment increased as of r4964:

494 -> 504
251 -> 258
88 -> 89
69 -> 71

>  I honestly don't see much of a problem.

I see at least two:

a) These numbers are growing (albeit slowly) and
b) numpy.TAB under IPython shows 516 completions

It doesn't matter *what* these completions are -- they're still there.
 Sifting through 500 options isn't fun -- not for a newbie, nor a
salty old sailor.  I agree with Joe that the problem can be
ameliorated by documentation, but I do think that an (optional)
fundamental restructuring is ultimately useful.

>  Proud Member of the Flat Earth Society

:)

Cheers
Stéfan