[Numpy-discussion] Array printing and another question

Ken Basye kbasye1@jhu....
Tue Apr 8 10:22:33 CDT 2008

Hi,
  Thanks, but it's been my experience that formatting FP numbers into
decimal causes a lot of false alarms
all by itself; that is, you get different decimal representations of the
same FP memory value.  I've had this happen
often enough that I found the first thing I did when an output
difference arose was to print the FP in hex to see if the
difference was "real" or just a formatting artifact.  This formatting
function is designed to do that all the time, while
providing enough clarity to examine values.  Here are a couple examples:

 >>> pi = 3.14159
 >>> float_to_readable_string(-100*pi)
'-(+0008)0x3a28b43958106'       # Note that the exponent is a decimal
value with a base of 2, so "8" is 256.
 >>> float_to_readable_string(0.0)
'+(-1023)0x0000000000000'

These strings can also be converted back to FP with absolute accuracy,
which is almost impossible to guarantee
with decimal representations, in my experience.
   Ken